As more and more studies show that sitting for long periods of time is bad for your health, many are turning to a standing desk for work. Having the option to work while standing and taking breaks from sitting down can have some health benefits.
What is a Standing Desk?
A standing desk is a desk that adjusts its height to allow you to stand while you work. These desks can be used for sitting and standing by using an electrical or hand adjustment device. They come in many different styles and sizes, and with different features.
Why You Should Invest in a Standing Desk?
The benefits of standing desks have become pretty well known over the past few years as more people are becoming health conscious. So many of us spend the majority of our work hours sitting at a computer, which can be detrimental to our health and well-being. Alternating between sitting and standing has numerous benefits, among which are:
- Standing at a desk can make you more productive: When you stand, your muscles are engaged and able to pump fresh blood and oxygen to your brain. This, in turn, aids in concentration, eliminating “brain fog” and also releases mood-enhancing chemicals.
- Standing desks can reduce aches and pains: Standing periodically throughout the day reduces pain-causing stress on your back. Some researchers also believe that switching between sitting and standing can reduce headaches.
- Standing promotes weight loss: When you stand, your heart beats 10 times faster per minute than when sitting. That means you are burning more calories!
- Sitting too long is bad for your mental well-being: Your brain functions slow down after sitting for a while, which leads to mental fatigue and reduced concentration.
Types of Standing Desk
There are a few different kinds of standing desks, categorized by how they work:
- Manual Sit Stand Desk: These are adjusted by a crank mechanism. They tend to be the cheapest option, but they have a much lower weight capacity, can be slow to change height, and tend to have limited desk space.
- Electric Standing Desks: These sit-stand desks use motors and push-button controls to raise and lower the desktop. These types seem to come in the most variety of sizes, designs, and height ranges.
- Portable Standing Desks: These types of desks have lockable casters that allow you to move the desk from room to room and lock it in place when it needs to be stationary.